ROBOTIS-OP2 is installed with Lubuntu 12.04 by default.
Although the Hydro Medusa ROS can be installed on Lubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin), but it is recommended to use the latest version as possible.
Since Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 have issues with the SBC graphic driver, it is recommended to install Linux Mint 17.3 (Rosa) - Xfce (32bit) that is based on Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr) in order to operate ROBOTIS-OP2 with ROS.
Please refer to the link below for how to install Linux Mint:
CAUTION : Do NOT upgrade the kernel after installation. Upgrading the kernel can cause graphic driver problem.
Please refer to the link below for how to install ROS (Indigo Igloo).
In order to properly install ROS on Linux Mint, setting up the
sources.list has to be modified as below.
$ sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://packages.ros.org/ros/ubuntu trusty main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ros-latest.list'
Intsall Guide : Install of ROS Indigo
Once ROS is properly installed, dependent packages should be installed to operate ROBOTIS-OP2.
Some ROS packages for ROBOTIS-OP3 can be used as is while other packages are required some modifications.
The packages modified for ROBOTIS-OP2 have been uploaded at separate repositories.
Download the packages with following instructions :
$ cd ~/catkin_ws/src $ git clone https://github.com/ROBOTIS-GIT/DynamixelSDK $ git clone https://github.com/ROBOTIS-GIT/ROBOTIS-Framework $ git clone https://github.com/ROBOTIS-GIT/ROBOTIS-Framework-msgs $ git clone https://github.com/ROBOTIS-GIT/ROBOTIS-Math $ git clone https://github.com/ROBOTIS-GIT/ROBOTIS-OP2 $ git clone https://github.com/ROBOTIS-GIT/ROBOTIS-OP2-Common $ git clone https://github.com/ROBOTIS-GIT/ROBOTIS-OP3 $ git clone https://github.com/ROBOTIS-GIT/ROBOTIS-OP3-msgs $ git clone https://github.com/ROBOTIS-GIT/ROBOTIS-OP3-Tools
- cm_740_module : Moved from the ROBOTIS-OP3 repository.
- op2_gui_demo : Some configuration files and launch file have been modified to run op3_gui_demo on ROBOTIS-OP2.
- op2_kinematics_dynamics : Only some values such as the joint direction used in the op2_walking_module were modified according to ROBOTIS-OP2.
- op2_manager : Applied some modifications on motion module and the configuration file for ROBOTIS-OP2. Unlike OpenCR in ROBOTIS-OP3, CM-740 in ROBOTIS-OP2 has DYNAMIXEL Power OFF as default setting. Therefore, modified source code to handle this difference.
- op2_walking_module : Modified code for ROBOTIS-OP2 (joint direction, balance gain, etc.)
- robotis_op2_description : ROBOTIS-OP2 URDF model
- robotis_op2_gazebo : ROBOTIS-OP2 gazebo simulation
$ cd ~/catkin_ws $ catkin_make
$ roslaunch op2_manager op2_manager.launch
When the op2_manager is launched, all the joints are torque on and play standing motion first, then the play sitting motion.
Connect VNC viewer or monitor to ROBOTIS-OP2 and execute GUI demo program.
$ roslaunch op2_gui_demo op2_demo.launch
The basic operating test is identical to ROBOTIS-OP3 which is described below on the OP3 tutorial page:
Motion tab is available.
Online Walking tab is NOT available.