Rasbperry Pi 4
TurtleBot3 has been upgraded with
Raspberry Pi 4.
TurtleBot3 Hardware is compatible with
Jetson Nano SBC.
Please refer to the video below in order to set up the Jetson Nano for TurtleBot3.
The Jetson Nano Developer Kit setup must be completed first.
What is TurtleBot?
TurtleBot is a ROS standard platform robot. Turtle is derived from the Turtle robot, which was driven by the educational computer programming language Logo in 1967. In addition, the turtlesim node, which first appears in the basic tutorial of ROS, is a program that mimics the command system of the Logo turtle program. It is also used to create the Turtle icon as a symbol of ROS. The nine dots used in the ROS logo derived from the back shell of the turtle. TurtleBot, which originated from the Turtle of Logo, is designed to easily teach people who are new to ROS through TurtleBot as well as to teach computer programming language using Logo. Since then TurtleBot has become the standard platform of ROS, which is the most popular platform among developers and students.
There are 3 versions of the TurtleBot model. TurtleBot1 was developed by Tully (Platform Manager at Open Robotics) and Melonee (CEO of Fetch Robotics) from Willow Garage on top of the iRobot’s Roomba-based research robot, Create, for ROS deployment. It was developed in 2010 and has been on sale since 2011. In 2012, TurtleBot2 was developed by Yujin Robot based on the research robot, iClebo Kobuki. In 2017, TurtleBot3 was developed with features to supplement the lacking functions of its predecessors, and the demands of users. The TurtleBot3 adopts ROBOTIS smart actuator DYNAMIXEL for driving. For more information on the TurtleBot series, please see the following link.
TurtleBot3 is a small, affordable, programmable, ROS-based mobile robot for use in education, research, hobby, and product prototyping. The goal of TurtleBot3 is to dramatically reduce the size of the platform and lower the price without having to sacrifice its functionality and quality, while at the same time offering expandability. The TurtleBot3 can be customized into various ways depending on how you reconstruct the mechanical parts and use optional parts such as the computer and sensor. In addition, TurtleBot3 is evolved with cost-effective and small-sized SBC that is suitable for robust embedded system, 360 degree distance sensor and 3D printing technology.
The TurtleBot3’s core technology is SLAM, Navigation and Manipulation, making it suitable for home service robots. The TurtleBot can run SLAM(simultaneous localization and mapping) algorithms to build a map and can drive around your room. Also, it can be controlled remotely from a laptop, joypad or Android-based smart phone. The TurtleBot can also follow a person’s legs as they walk in a room. Also the TurtleBot3 can be used as a mobile manipulator capable of manipulating an object by attaching a manipulator like OpenMANIPULATOR. The OpenMANIPULATOR has the advantage of being compatible with TurtleBot3 Waffle and Waffle Pi. Through this compatibility can compensate for the lack of freedom and can have greater completeness as a service robot with the the SLAM and navigation capabilities that the TurtleBot3 has.
How to contribute to ROS and TurtleBot?
TurtleBot3 is a collaboration project…
TurtleBot3 is a collaboration project among Open Robotics, ROBOTIS, and more partners like The Construct, Intel, Onshape, OROCA, AuTURBO, ROS in Robotclub Malaysia, Astana Digital, Polariant Experiment, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, GVlab, Networked Control Robotics Lab at National Chiao Tung University, SIM Group at TU Darmstadt. The Open Robotics is in charge of software and community activities, while ROBOTIS is in charge of manufacturing and global distribution.
The most important part of this TurtleBot3 collaboration project is open source based software, hardware, and content. We are encouraging more partners and research collaborators to participate in this project to enrich the robotics field.
If you are interested in partnership with us to realize open source robotics, please fill out form here.
TurtleBot3 Partners and Research Collaborators
* Each collaboration member’s web page can be found here.
* Each collaboration member’s web page can be found here.
Checkout ROS and TurtleBot3 Publications
- 09/06/2021 TurtleBot3 is upgraded with Raspberry Pi 4!!!
- 05/28/2021 TurtleBot3 Autorace 2020 now runs with ROS Noetic
- 05/24/2021 ROS 2 Galactic Geochelone Release
- 12/20/2020 Webots supports TurtleBot3 with ROS 2 Foxy
- 10/15/2020 ROS 2 Foxy Release
- 08/21/2019 ROS 2 Dashing Release
- 08/20/2019 Navigation2 Dashing release - demo video
- 02/01/2019 Announcing new packages for TurtleBot3 in ROS2 (including Cartographer and Navigation2)
- 12/17/2018 ros2arduino released: Arduino library for communicating with ROS 2
- 09/21/2018 XEL Network first application + Distributing XEL devices 100 set for free in ROScon2018!
- 09/13/2018 Introducing the XEL Network : Modular H/W ecosystem over ROS2
- 09/05/2018 Introducing ROS2 Tutorials
- 08/08/2018 Machine Learning tutorial
- 08/08/2018 TurtleBot3 AutoRace in ROS Development Studio
- 08/07/2018 Tutorial for Task Mission in ROS Development Studio
- 07/18/2018 New ROS Online Course for Beginner
- 07/03/2018 TurtleBot3 AutoRace with Gazebo
- 05/25/2018 Announcing TurtleBot3 Software(v1.0.0) and Firmware(v1.2.0) Update
- 05/21/2018 Reinforcement Learning with TB3!
- 05/16/2018 1 Year of TurtleBot3: Call for Collaboration (by 23 MAY)
- 05/11/2018 TurtleBot3 with OpenMANIPULATOR is released
- 04/27/2018 Awesome TurtleBot3 Projects like BallBot Project
- 04/20/2018 TurtleBot3 Automatic Parking under AR detection
- 03/29/2018 TurtleBot3 AutoRace 2017 Tutorial & Source Codes released
- 03/17/2018 TurtleBot3 Auto project
- 03/15/2018 Gazebo Simulation
- 02/19/2018 Waffle Pi Launching Event!
- 02/08/2018 ROS Robot Programming, A Handbook is written by TurtleBot3 Developers
- 02/02/2018 How to use LDS-01 of TurtleBot3
- 01/30/2018 TurtleBot3 Basic operation demo
- 01/26/2018 TurtleBot3 projects in KAIST
- 01/18/2018 TurtleBot3 Software, Firware Update
- 01/17/2018 TurtleBot3 Automatic parking demo
- 11/07/2017 ARM TechCon: Best Contribution to an Open-Source Software Project
- 09/20/2017 TurtleBot3 AutoRace 2017 teaser #2
- 09/13/2017 TurtleBot3 AutoRace 2017 teaser #1
- 07/31/2017 TurtleBot3 Burger Assembly Video
- 06/07/2017 TurtleBot3 Follow Demo
- 05/29/2017 Exhibition, Party, and Tutorials with TurtleBot3 at ICRA2017
- 05/11/2017 TurtleBot3 Early-Bird Discount Offer (until May 29)
- 05/08/2017 Don’t miss FREE TB3 Burger event!
- 05/08/2017 Very informative and detailed review by Erico Guizzo and Evan Ackerman
- 04/24/2017 TurtleBot3 Friends
- 04/12/2017 TurtleBot3 with Laser Distance Sensor (LDS)
- 04/05/2017 Gazebo simulator
- 03/21/2017 TurtleBot3 official wiki site (technical information)
- 03/15/2017 TurtleBot3 with OpenCR
- 03/08/2017 TurtleBot3 Hardware: Free for YOU!
- 03/01/2017 TurtleBot3 Auto project
- 02/21/2017 TurtleBot3 RoadTrain
- 02/01/2017 TurtleBot3 Segway
- 01/25/2017 Assembling the TurtleBot3
- 01/17/2017 TurtleBot3 Tank
- 12/28/2016 TurtleBot3 Omni wheel and Mecanum wheel Example
- 12/23/2016 TurtleBot3 Autonomous Car
- 12/21/2016 The TurtleBot3 - The Journey of the Turtlebot with R2D2
- 12/13/2016 The TurtleBot3 Example #10 The Journey of the Turtlebot
- 12/05/2016 SLAM with the TurtleBot3
- 11/23/2016 The TurtleBot3 Teleoperation Example
- 11/21/2016 The TurtleBot3 Example #01 Parallel Translation with 4 Joints and 4 Wheels
- 11/16/2016 Payload Test of TurtleBot3
- 10/13/2016 Announcing TurtleBot3
Click to expand the recent news
- 11/12/2020 ROS World 2020: ROBOTIS TurtleBot3 Parallel Session
- 07/22/2019 Top 10 ROS-based robotics companies in 2019, The Robot Report
- 12/10/2018 Robot Gift Guide 2018, IEEE Spectrum
- 11/26/2018 AWS RoboMaker – Develop, Test, Deploy, and Manage Intelligent Robotics Apps, AWS News Blog
- 10/01/2018 Microsoft Announces Experimental Release of ROS for Windows 10, IEEE Spectrum
- 09/29/2018 “XEL Network : modular H/W ecosystem using ROS2” on ROSCon2018, PDF, Video
- 09/14/2018 “Introduction of Open Robot Platform: mobile robot, manipulator, humanoid, hand” on ROSCon JP 2018, PDF, Video
- 07/06/2018 Video Friday: Roboy, AI Ethics, and Big Clapper
- 02/02/2018 Video Friday: Waffle Robots, Laser vs. Drone, and TurtleBot Tutorials, IEEE Spectrum
- 11/30/2017 Robot Gift Guide 2017, IEEE Spectrum
- 11/07/2017 10 Memorable ROS-based Robots, Robotics Trends
- 11/07/2017 TurtleBot 3 and Friends: A Lower Barrier of Entry for Exploring A.I. Robotics, ThomasNet
- 10/24/2017 Announcing the Arm TechCon Innovation Award Finalists, arm TechCon
- 10/13/2017 Top 10 Open Source Linux Robots, Linux.com
- 09/22/2017 “TurtleBot3 AutoRace” on ROSCon2017, PDF, Video
- 09/21/2017 “Introducing OpenMANIPULATOR; the full open robot platform” on ROSCon2017, PDF, Video
- 07/16/2017 The TurtleBot3 Teacher: Learn the ROS platform with this robot kit, IEEE Spectrum
- 06/16/2017 Turtlebot3, the Open Source Ubuntu/ROS-Based Robot Kit, Open Electronics
- 06/14/2017 Open Source TurtleBot 3 Robot Kit Runs Ubuntu and ROS on Raspberry Pi, Linux.com
- 06/09/2017 Ubuntu-driven TurtleBot gets a major rev with a Pi or Joule in the driver’s seat, LinuxGizmos.com
- 05/31/2017 The Turtlebot 3 has launched, Ubuntu
- 05/29/2017 All the Latest, Most Exciting Robotics Research From ICRA 2017, IEEE Spectrum
- 05/17/2017 The Silicon Valley Startup Creating Robot DNA, Bloomberg
- 05/02/2017 Hands-on With TurtleBot 3, a Powerful Little Robot for Learning ROS, IEEE Spectrum
- 12/28/2016 Celebrating 9 Years of ROS, ROBOHUB
- 10/13/2016 Advances in robotics made easier by forthcoming 3D printed TurtleBot, 3D Printing Industry
- 10/12/2016 Robotis and OSRF Announce TurtleBot 3: Smaller, Cheaper, and Modular, IEEE Spectrum
- 09/21/2016 “Introducing the Turtlebot3” on ROSCon2016, PDF, Video
- 03/26/2013 TurtleBot Inventors Tell Us Everything About the Robot, IEEE Spectrum